Cyber criminals from around the world are becoming increasingly sophisticated in their attempts to steal personal information from unsuspecting customers. One way they may try to trick you into revealing personal account information is through phishing scams, where they impersonate Flywire or the institution you are paying in order to intercept funds.
Scammers may send you fake payment instructions via email, text, or social media. You may even be directed to a spoof website that imitates Flywire’s and is designed to trick you into sending the scammers your payment. Phishing and spoofing attempts can be sophisticated, but they can also be easily detected. Here’s what to look for:
- Emails advising you to send money directly to a specific bank account: Flywire will never provide payment instructions via email. The only payment instructions provided by Flywire are those offered on our website
- Links in the email do not send you directly to our website: All links should go directly to https://www.flywire.com. You can check the validity of the link by hovering over it; the actual URL will be displayed at the bottom of the page
- Typos and grammatical mistakes: The email will look unprofessional, be poorly written, and contain typos and grammatical errors
- Messages asking you to confirm or update your account information: Flywire will never ask you to confirm or update your information via email, text, or chat request
If you receive an email that convinces you to connect to a suspicious site, exit immediately if you notice the following:
- Non-secure URL: Flywire operates an encrypted website, so you will always see a lock displayed next to the URL. If you do not see a lock, you may have visited a spoofed site
- Incorrect or unexpected URL: Flywire URLs always begin with https://www.flywire.com
For more information on phishing and spoofing and other Internet scams, please visit https://lookstoogoodtobetrue.com.cutestat.com/, a joint law enforcement and industry task force security site. If you think you have received a fraudulent email or are uncertain if an email you received is from Flywire, contact us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.